I have always been a cookie lover. My favourite ice cream ever since I can remember is cookie dough Haagen Daaz ice cream. When my dad used to bring me down to London as a child I wouldn’t leave until we had visited the Haagen Daaz cafe in Leicester Square and he had bought me two scoops of the stuff.
It’s no surprise then that when I make cookies I like eating the cookie dough just as much as the finished product. It has been my quest to make the perfect googey chocolate chip cookies after many a time making ones that snap very easily.
Best eaten warm out of the oven with a scoop of velvety vanilla ice cream scooped and just melting on top.
120g unsalter butter, softened
50g golden unrefined granulated sugar
75g unrefined light muscavado sugar
1tsp good quality vanilla essence
1 large egg, lightly beaten
160g plain flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g good quality dark chocolate (I like 70% Lindt), roughly chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4. Place parchment paper over a large oven tray
2. Put sugars and butter into a bowl and beat until light and fluffy
3. Add the flour and bicarbonate of soda plus the roughly chopped chocolate and stir together until the mixture forms a dough
4. Transfer mixture onto the baking tray in whatever size you would like them to be. Remember to keep quite a bit of space between dollops because they will expand as they cook (I’ve made this mistake before and ended up with a giant cookie)
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes and remove from oven
6. Leave to cool (or unless you’re like me and love warm and gooey cookies, eat immediately) and transfer to a tupperware