Most of you will know that we got three beautiful hens a few weeks ago. Only one of them is laying so far and the eggs have been quite sporadic, until recently when we’ve been getting one every day.
Although we currently have 5 Bantam eggs sitting in our egg rack, I have to admit that the eggs in this recipe aren’t from our hens, they are from my boyfriends parents hens down in Chichester. We had some ibérico ham in the fridge that needed eating so I made a delicious dish of baked eggs with ibérico ham and parmesan for dinner.
This dish is exceptionally easy and fast – it only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish, if that! Serve with a couple of slices of bread drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
2 large cloves garlic
6 slices of ibérico ham (or enough to cover the pan that you want to use)
4 large free range eggs
sprinkle of curly leaf parsley – about 4 tsp
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to season
a grating of parmesan cheese
Pre heat the grill to the highest setting
1. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the garlic and fry for one minute. Season with salt and pepper
2. Add the ibérico ham and fry for one minute
3. Make a space for each of the eggs and crack in. Fry for a further minute or until they start to go white
4. Grate over the parmesan and then place the pan under the grill for 2-3 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked
5. Take out of the oven, sprinkle with parsley and enjoy with your delicious bread