This dish was inspired by my recent London treasure hunt, where I was given an insight into the fascinating culture of Hong Kong. Read more about my experiences here.
2 duck breasts
1 star anise
3 sprigs of rosemary
10 shiitake mushrooms
1/2 red chilli, cut into rings (keep seeds in)
200g bok choi
A few drops of fish sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp groundnut oil
3 cloves garlic
120g white rice
Sea salt and pepper to season
For the damson sauce
3 cm ginger, grated
1 red chilli, seeds removed and diced
225g damsons, stoned and halved
75g light muscovado sugar
15ml balsamic vinegar
For the damson sauce
1. Stone the damsons and place into a pan, along with the balsamic vinegar, chilli and ginger. Cover with the sugar and plase on a medium heat. Let the sugar dissolve and leave to bubble for 5 minutes or until the damsons are soft
2. Blend the damson mixture until smooth and the pass through a sieve to get rid of all of the pulp
For the duck
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Score the skin of the duck and rub with salt and pepper
3. place into a pan on a medium heat and fry for 6-7 minutes. Add the butter, star anise and thyme and baste
4. Place into a the oven and cook for 6 minutes (pink) and 10 minutes (well done)
For the bok choi and shiitake mushroom
1. Heat the oil in a wok for 30 seconds. Add bok choi for two minutes until the leaves are slightly wilted
2. Add mushrooms and fry for a further two minutes
3. Add chilli and garlic and fry for a further minute
4. Add the fish sauce and soy sauce at the end just before serving
Plate up and enjoy the delightful flavours of Cantonese cuisine!
Pingback: Hong Kong – Live in London. Monday 12th – Sunday 18th September « Food For Think
Pingback: Home made Dim Sum – minced pork dumplings « Food For Think
Tasty ingredients, simple making way and after making heart touching smell and unforgettable flavor always makes me amazed and greedy. Thanks mate.
I’m hungry for to taste it. 🙂 Thanks for the useful ingredients, Hopefully I will taste it today evening. LOVE. . . LOVE…..for your this touching post.
Pan fried duck with damson sauce, bok choi and shiitake mushrooms is my favorite and have not any week I was not tasted it. Thanks for provided ingredients.
Pan fried duck with damson sauce, bok choi and shiitake mushrooms had my first damson item food and therefore I can’t forget its flavor never. Just yummy and yummy……. 🙂
the sauce is absolutely delicious
Did you cook it? I wish I would have picked up some Damsons this year.
yes, it’s a favourite home recipe of ours because we have a damson tree! so we freeze them and then have sauce like this all year.
Pingback: A damson in distress… | My Food Challenge