I was invited to my friends house for dinner this week. It got to Monday and I started to panic. What was I going to take with me?! A bottle of wine is too boring, a dessert too hard to transport, flowers were out of the question as the host is a man and taking nothing is just plain rude. After much deliberation I settled on Jack Daniels truffles for a sweet post meal treat.
Truffles are really fun to make, although pretty messy. I filled the sink with warm water so that I could wash my hands every time they got too chocolatey.
Ingredients Makes 20 – 25 truffles
• 150ml double cream
• Knob of unsalted butter
• 150g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
• Pinch of sea salt
• 2 tsp Jack Daniels
• 50g chopped hazelnuts, on a plate
• 4 tablespoons cocoa powder, on a plate
1. Break up the chocolate into small pieces and place into a large bowl
2. Heat the cream in a pan until hot, but not boiling. Wait for small bubbles to start appearing. Add the butter and stir until melted
3. Pour over the chocolate pieces and whisk continually until all of the chocolate has melted. Add a pinch of salt, stir and then add the Jack Daniels
4. When the mixture is smooth and all of the chocolate has melted, place in the fridge to set for around two hours
5. When you take it out of the fridge, let it warm up to room temperature before making the truffles
6. Spoon ball sized pieces out of the chocolate and roll in either the chopped hazelnuts or cocoa powder before placing in truffle cases