Knowing that I would be feeling slightly fragile on New Years day, I took a trip to the supermarket and prepared to make a delicious hang over busting breakfast – Huevos Rancheros.
I was inspired by Valentine Warner’s recipe in his newest book, The Good Table, but I seem to have misplaced it so I created my own version.
I feel like I cheated slightly with the tin of refried beans but as soon as I locate my cookbook, I’ll be making Valentines version from scratch.
1 tin of cherry tomatoes
1/2 tin of refried beans
1 red chilli, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
small bunch of coriander
salt and pepper to season
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 free range eggs
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/2 lime, sliced into wedges
4 corn tortillas
8 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
1. Heat 4 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan and fry the chopped chilli and garlic on a medium heat for 3 minutes, or until soft
2. Add the tomato puree, tinned cherry tomatoes and red wine vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes on a low/medium heat. Season with salt and pepper
3. Heat the refried beans in a pan
4. Heat another frying pan and toast the corn tortillas on each side for 1 minute. Keep aside
5. In the same pan, heat the remianing vegetable oil and fry the eggs, basting the yolk with hot oil as you go
6. Place tomato sauce, refried beans and a fried egg on each tortilla and garnish with avocado, coriander and a wedge of lime