When we were wandering around Leederville in Perth, we stumbled upon a fantastic fishmonger called Kailis Bros. We stepped inside and saw a wide variety of fish on sale that had been caught that day.
We bought a few Red Snapper to BBQ but the Squid and Baby Octopus caught my eye. We got enough for a starter for everyone and it was very cheap. When we got back to the flat, we set to deep frying it. Serve with Mayonaise and a wedge of Lemon and you have a easy and tasty starter.
75g self-raising flour
100ml beer (we used Little Creatures Pale Ale)
Squid and Octopus to serve 5 people for starter
Salt and pepper
Sunflower oil (for deep frying)
1. Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan
2. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl and whisk in the lager to make the batter. The consistency should be like very thick double cream
3. Season with salt and thickly coat Squid and Octopus with batter
4. With a slotted spoon, place the seafood in the hot sunflower oil and cook for 5 minutes until golden and crispy
5. Remove from the pan with the slotted spoon, drain and sit on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper, then keep warm in the oven if you have to do another batch
6. Serve with a wedge of lemon and mayonaise