A few weeks ago I was sent a rather lovely hamper, which contained some delicious ingredients – Grana Padano aand Prosciutto di San Daniele.
The idea? For me and 11 other bloggers to compete in a recipe challenge competition to win £450 worth of vouchers for La Cucina Caldesi Cookery School. It sounded great so as soon as my hamper arrived, I got cracking, literally.
The competition is to raise awareness of the “PDO – The taste of origin and tradition” campaign, which was launched in partnership with the Consortium or Prosciutto di San Daniele and the Consortium of Grana Padano Cheese and is designed to promote Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) products.
The recipe I have devised for this competition is simple. I am a very busy lady and it is designed for people like me – who like to be able to cook something quick and delicious on a work night. In fact, I cooked this before a netball match on a Monday evening – it was quick, delicious and very satisfying.
Grana Padano, Prosciutto di San Daniele and Egg Baked Toastie Recipe
6 sliced of white bread
15g butter, melted
Pack of Prosciutto di San Daniele
6 small eggs
For the bechamel
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp grain mustard
1 tsp ground nutmey
30g Grana Padano cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 180degrees
1. Make the bechamel sauce first. Melt the butter in a pan. Add the flour and stir until a paste forms
2. Whisk in the milk, mustard and nutmeg and stir over a medium heat until thickened
3. Add most of the cheese and stir until smooth
4. Cut the crusts off the bread and flatten (I used a rolling pin)
5. Place each slice of bread in a deep muffin tin
6. Place the Prosciutto inside the bread and layer
7. Crack an egg into the center (pour out some of the egg white if there is too much)
8. Place cheese sauce over the top and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top
9. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes