There is something so satisfying about making your own hummus. I also adore the Moroccan tomato salad that I learned to make on my trip to Marrakech a couple of years ago and can’t get enough of grilled halloumi. Put it all together and you get a delicious brunch dish.
Hummus with Aubergine Salad and Halloumi
For the hummus
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tin chickpeas
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp paprika (plus a bit extra for dusting)
Salt (to season)
For the aubergine
1 whole aubergine, cubed
1 x good quality tin of plum tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
Salt and pepper to season
Big glug of rapeseed or olive oil, for frying
1. Make the hummus. Place all ingredients in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Season or add more lemon juice if need be.
2. Heat a big glug of oil in a pan and fry aubergine for 10 minutes, or until soft.
3. Add garlic, cumin and turmeric and fry fur a further minute.
4. Add tinned tomatoes and simmer for a 5-10 minutes.
5. Serve with toasted pitta and slices of grilled halloumi.
No chickpeas in the hummus?
Oh goodness! I seemed to miss out the main ingredient, haha. Have added it in now – thanks for spotting.